- Designed for ages 5 to 15 years old
- Sibling Discount 20%
- Practices are 110-minutes in duration
- Warm up 10-minutes
- Technical training 20-minutes
- Open session 70-minutes
- Workout 10-minutes
- Please see staff if you are interested in joining
- Participation in competitions not required
- Monday 4:30pm – 6:30pm
- Tuesday thru Thursday 10:30am – 12:30pm or 4:30pm – 6:30pm
- Saturday 9:30am – 11:30am or 12:30pm – 2:30pm
- Sunday 12:30pm – 2:30pm or 3:00pm – 5:00pm
- Practice cancellations due to inclement weather will follow suit with OPS closings (though the gym may still be open)
Approach Climbing Gym is officially sanctioned by the USA Climbing for youth.
Practice schedule: Team Approach runs 50 weeks a year! There is always a two-week break for Christmas and New Year’s weeks. Additionally, Practice will never be held on Thanksgiving, during any Regionals event, during any Approach competition, or designated holidays. In addition, we want these schedules to work for you, so if you have a preference for practice times for the next season, please suggest it to the Head Coach.
Memberships to Approach: Your climber will receive a Membership for the duration of their Team registration. Memberships are not redeemable for cash nor can they be transferred to another person. Benefits of the memberships include unlimited access to the facility, access to weekly yoga and group fitness classes, weight room, discounts on products sold at Approach, and invites to Members-Only events.
- Once/week = Membership for the participant
- Twice/week = Membership for the participant + 1
Qualified instruction at competitions: our coaches will be present at USAC Midwest competitions where 4 or more kids are registered.
The current season schedule is as follows:
- March 9 – Adventure Rock-Milwaukee
- April 6 – Climb Iowa
- April 6 – Upper Limits – Maryland Heights
- April 13 – VE Minneapolis
- April 13 – Ibex
- April 27 – Approach
- May 11 – Regionals at Upper Limits in Maryland Heights, MO
- June 15 & 16 – Divisionals at Vertical Endeavors in Bloomington, MN
- July 11 – 14 – Nationals at Reach Indoor Climbing and Fitness in Bridgeport, PA
The USAC bouldering season to be published when finalized:
- Nov 2 – Approach Bouldering Competition
Top rope belay and lead climbing classes: For those who are eligible, additional instructional classes will be provided during regularly scheduled practice to further each climber’s technical knowledge of climbing equipment. These classes are not only available to the climber, but also to the parent. We encourage you to actively participate!
Team Approach shirts: We encourage climbers to wear their team shirts to practices and are required to wear them at competitions. One team shirt per 16 week session is included. Additional shirts and jackets (for parents or climbers) are available for purchase.
Discounted prices on private lessons: The cost of each hour of 1-on-1 instruction is $45, a 40% discount off our standard private coaching rate. 1-on-1 instruction will allow coaches to explore the minutiae of climbing with your child in extreme detail. Practices must be held at Approach and services paid through Approach’s front desk. You are welcome to tip your coaches, but please note payment for services outside of Approach is a violation of our policies.
End of season analytics: Athletic performance metrics graphs will be provided by the Head Coach. These charts are designed to show you as their parents how quickly the program develops your child as a climber and as an athlete. It will track everything from their ability to perform specific climbing skills to the number of pullups they can do in two minutes.
Our program is divided into three seasons to follow the USAC competition schedules. They include Sport/Speed (February thru May), Training (June thru September), and Bouldering (October thru January). Fees are billed monthly on the 10th of each month, and there is a two month minimum. You can join any time and will be auto enrolled monthly until you terminate your membership. We require 30 days notice to cancel.
- Once per week for $115/month
- Twice per week for $165/month
- Unlimited practices for $220/month
COMPETITION TEAM EXPECTATIONS
The following list identifies expectations for climbers, both inside our facility and at others. Disciplinary actions for infractions include verbal warnings, calisthenics, practice of appropriate technique, timeouts, and possible suspension from the team.
1) Always give 100% effort and focus
2) Arrive 15 minutes before practices.
3) Be respectful to your coaches. Do not talk when your coach is talking. Accept feedback.
4) Always push your limits. Self-improvement begins where your comfort zone ends.
5) Identify your weaknesses and work to fix them. You always have room to improve!
6) Always use proper falling and belaying techniques.